Monday, February 16, 2015

The Gift of Gratitude

It's been a while since I blogged last, but January was such a whirlwind of events that I just didn't have the chance to sit down and work on anything but work.  As a senior high school teacher, January is the month of final examinations for students and between chemo treatments #2 and #3, and the insertion of a PICC line (not the easiest surgical procedure on my arm, apparently), not to mention tidying up my office for my replacement, it was a busy month.  But through all the chaos, I realized that I had a whole school behind me as I continued my cancer battle.  Let me explain.

As the principal of a K-12 rural school, I have a staff of 36 dedicated teachers and EAs, and this is a school staff that has been very supportive of me.  Despite being new to the building this fall (yes, I began a new job shortly after my cancer diagnosis...and I moved to a new town too with my family of five), I have been wrapped in their concern and affection as I go through surgeries and treatments.  They are a fantastic group of colleagues.  I also have many of the students who encourage me daily as I walk through the halls, whether with questions of concern, hugs, or compliments about my latest headwear, since nearly all my hair fell out back in mid-December.  I have been thankful for all of this, but the most overwhelming moment came when the Student Leadership Council held a "Pink for Paula" day, just before exam week.  They asked the students and staff to wear pink in support of my battle and held a one-day bake sale, with the proceeds going toward breast cancer research.  As with most dress-up days, I expected the usual 70% of students to pink it up.  But when I walked into the gymnasium, I was blown away by nearly the whole school lined up for the keepsake photo.  When I was asked to address the group, I shed tears of humility and shear gratitude for what they had done.


As for the bake sale, the event raised over $500 for cancer research, and with funds raised from the football team's annual breast cancer awareness game in October, nearly $1000 was donated to breast cancer research by my school.  I am so grateful for all that my school has done to support me in my cancer battle and for the many friends and family who show their support through visits, treats, and texts.  I know that many who battle cancer do so with the support of close family and friends and that is the perfect amount of support for them.  Others battle cancer with next to no support...they are sole strugglers whose battle is silenced by either their own choice or by circumstances that leave them alone in their battle.  But for all who have been touched by cancer, I want you to know that there are more people out there for you than you could know.  Whether they are your personal cheerleader or they are the guy on the street who donates $20.00 for the latest cancer fundraiser, they are rooting for you....and I am grateful for that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment