Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Gift of Advocacy

As an educator, one of the goals that I have for my students is to help develop their ability to advocate for themselves.  I want them to be able to look for the tools and resources they need to answer questions they have about their future and to instill a sense of determination to make educated choices.

After I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had a need to find out information about my type of cancer, standard procedures, healthy eating, etc.   I wanted to ensure that I had all the information I needed to make informed medical decisions.  I was also aided by the amazing surgeon and cancer care centre that not only informed me, but sent me lab results to go over and keep.  I was very impressed with the early days of my treatment.

Then I was referred to the next stage of care at the Cancer Clinic.  I found that there were many issues that frustrated me with this facility.  I felt that there was a paradox to the care I received; on one hand, they were not willing to provide detailed written information about the treatment plan and the way they came to decisions about dosages, medications, etc, but at the same time, they had an expectation that I would come to the doctor's appointments with detailed information about daily symptoms, drug interactions, additional medications, and willingly provide this with no discussion on what they would do with the information.  When my blood sugar started to skyrocket, the clinic's response was to tell my doctor (GP), but my GP's response was to tell the clinic since he was not being forwarded information about my treatment.  I was also told that my local home care was to provide services for my PICC line, but when I contacted them, Home Care had not received any notification from the clinic that I would require care.  Then I was asked to fill out a survey by a pharmacy student.  Through that process, I found out that all pharmacies in SK have access to online prescription files (which I agree with), except for anything prescribed by the cancer clinic (which I don't agree with).

What I have come to understand through this process is that I am very fortunate to be educated enough and healthy enough to work my way through this system and to advocate for myself.  While at times it feels like I'm working for SK Health instead of SK Health working for me, I think the more informed we are as consumers of our health system, the better we can advocate for our own patient rights and protection.  And as I tell my students, self-advocacy is a very important skill to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment