Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Gift of Never too Late

It's official:  I've completed treatments and my oncologist has put me on follow-up mode, which I interpret as doctor-talk for "You're cancer-free".  It's funny, but it just doesn't seem like something to celebrate though.  I mean, I am very fortunate that the cancer was caught early and was treated with minimal complications.  But I feel very wary about jumping up and down and shouting to the world, "I'm done!  I've beat this!  It's over!"  Because the fact of the matter is, there is a lot of cancer out there.  Now don't think I've suddenly turned pessimistic on you... I haven't;  it's just that I think that there are so many people out there I know still undergoing treatments or have cancer that has metastasized, that jumping up and down seems arrogant.  It's a fine balance between being excited and celebratory for myself, and being respectful and supportive for those who are in-treatment.  I want to use my experience to be there for others in as positive a way as I can.

It might also be premature too.  As I said, there is a lot of cancer out there and unless I change what I'm doing, I run the risk of developing more tumors.

There is a ton of research out there about cancer-fighting foods and the benefits of getting and staying in shape to reduce your risk, etc.  I think the old adage about the definition of stupid...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results....  If I don't learn from this experience that I need to make better decisions when it comes to healthy living, then what was the point?  And that comes down to informed decision-making about what I do.  I mean, there is nothing good in a potato chip and veggies taste amazing when they come right out of my garden and while it's easier to putz around my yard all morning long, a vigorous walk would be a much better choice.

I have to admit, I haven't made a lot of wise choices about my eating habits but it's never too late to change and learn new habits.  Old habits, like grazing in front of the tv in the evening, are hard to break, but necessary.  What has changed for me already is a new-found appreciation who or what I'm making these better choices for:  it's not for looks, fashion, or what others think....it's for myself, my family, and my close friends.  You see, I might be 50, but I plan to stick around for a lot of years yet. I've got kids to marry off, grandkids to spoil, holidays to celebrate, and bottles of wine to share, so I need at least another 30 years to accomplish that!

And come on, I haven't sung "O Canada" at a Canadiens game yet...and that's a bucket list item that I chose a long time ago and that is still waiting to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment